I came across this video today and it really deeply upset me. I'm not in this exact siatuation but I can only imagine how something this simple can upset someone immensely. Discrimination and Racism has been going on since the begining of time. Yes, it has gotten better throughout the years, but there is in fact intense amount of racism still going around.
In my case, being a Latina/Mexican, I couldn't be prouder. I have an interresting background to talk about. Having a French Father and Latina Mother, I've got a nice mix going on. I'm tall with thick dark hair (French side) with medium curls, dark eyes and tan skin (Mexican side).
I used to look down on myself until I realized I have alot to offer.
At school and in all my surroundings I constantly hear people talk about Mexicans. I hear comments or labels like "Dirty Mexicans" "Jumpers" "Beanners" and many more that can get alot more graphic and offensive. People always picture mexicans riding a donkey wearing a poncho, a sombrero and holding a guitar. I trully do blame this on the media. I invite you to go to mexico, travel around mexico city, perhaps the outskirts, Cancun, Acapulco, Guanajuato etc. and point out at least 20 stereotyped Mexicans. Good Luck.
The media has put in our heads that Mexican's have this appearance and that Mexico is a poor country. Yes, like EVERY country, Mexico does has some areas of poverty. But it also has some of the most beautiful Riches of the world as well as one of the most advanced Scientific Research Laboratories in the world.
The malls in Mexico city are like none you've ever seen. High tech to the max.
The Marble Palace, made entirely of Marble, home to the most famous Operas. It's absolutely stunning.
The Pyramids of the sun and moon. A well known Historical location. One of the most interresting places I've ever been to in my life.
So take a look around once in a while and realize that beyond your border, theres a whole world to be discovered. Every Country is different, every race is different and yet, we're all the same. Lets act on that, shall we?
It disgusts me to see this but I feel it's something important to share. So please take a few minutes of your time and watch this video.
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Our World Has Come to This...
Posted by Jessie K at 8:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment